Preparing for an emergency
Once an evacuation order is declared, time runs low and stress is high. We can’t rely on having time to pack and we can expect that our common critical thinking skills deteriorate due to the overwhelming situation. Be ready to go, prepare now.
Here are recommendations on how you can do your part to prepare your household for an emergency:
1. Sign-up for the East Kootenay Evacuation Notification System
The Regional District of the East Kootenay has launched an Evacuation Notification System to keep residents and property owners informed in evacuation orders or alerts during critical events such as wildfires, floods or hazardous materials incidents.
Powered by Voyent Alert!, the service is free and available to everyone in the East Kootenay, including municipalities, rural areas, First Nations and visitors of the region. It will only be used for evacuation alerts or orders in the East Kootenay, and the sign-up process is simple.
To sign-up now, visit:
Here is a video for more on Why Register for Voyent Alert?
2. Review your family’s evacuation plan and have your emergency kit ready.
If you don’t have one yet, visit Preparedbc.ca for helpful tips, templates and an emergency kit supply list.
3. Prepare your home for specific local hazards like wildfires, floods, landslides and severe weather:
- To prepare for a wildfire: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/know-your-hazards/wildfires
For information on how to FireSmart your property, visit FireSmartBC.ca and the District of Invermere FireSmart page at https://invermere.net/operations/fire-safety/firesmart/
- To prepare for floods: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/know-your-hazards/floods
- To prepare for landslides: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/know-your-hazards/landslides
- To prepare for severe weather: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/know-your-hazards/severe-weather
- To prepare for a power outage: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-management/preparedbc/know-your-hazards/power-outages
These are resources where you can find up-to-date information on:
- Provincial Evacuation Orders and alert updates: https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/
- Weather Alerts for British Columbia: https://www.weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html?prov=bc
- Power outage map: https://www.bchydro.com/power-outages/app/outage-map.html
- Current Wildfire Activity: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/wildfire-situation
- Fire Bans and Restrictions: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/wildfire-status/fire-bans-and-restrictions
- Air quality Advisories: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/environment/air-land-water/air/air-quality/air-advisories