Mount Nelson Athletic Skatepark and Pump Track Reopen
As part of the Province’s relaunch plan, the District of Invermere is reopening some previously closed sites including the skatepark and the bike track located at Mount Nelson Athletic Park. The Regional District of East Kootenay (RDEK), municipalities and several local First Nation governments are participating in this collective, regional approach to our East Kootenay Restart.
Residents have been able to use tennis courts, pickleball courts, basketball courts, ball diamonds, and greenspaces since the May long weekend. Planning is focusing on opportunities to open playgrounds, outdoor fitness equipment, spray parks and splash pads but these facilities currently remain closed.
“We will continue to take measures to protect the health and safety of everyone and we will begin to open up more spaces when the time is right and is safe to do so.
We all need to do our part.” Mayor Al Miller
Open in the District of Invermere:
- All park spaces (excluding playgrounds and play structures)
- Trails (practice physical distancing)
- Picnic areas for family and small circle use
- Tennis & Pickleball courts – for family and small circle use only
- Basketball courts – for family and small circle use only
- Skateboard Park – limitations apply
- Sports fields for family and small circle use, no organized practices, or activities allowed
- Kinsmen Beach (practice physical distancing)
- Public Boat Launch (practice physical distancing)
Closed in the District of Invermere:
- Playgrounds and play structures
- Outdoor fitness equipment
- Spray parks and splash pads
While these areas are reopening, the threat of COVID-19 remains. All parks users must exercise caution and continue to adhere to public health orders and personal safety guidelines. Follow physical distancing requirements, continue frequently washing hands, and stay home if you are feeling ill in any way. Keep your group limited to members of your household and very select friends/family. Keep your circle small. Wait your turn at a safe distance and give everyone the opportunity to enjoy the facilities.