District of Invermere Supports Future Development of 60-unit Seniors Housing Project in Downtown Invermere
“On behalf of Invermere Council I am very happy to announce that we have taken the decision to commit the District of Invermere in principle to make available several parcels of lands (or an interest therein) to Lake View Manor at no cost to develop a 60-unit seniors housing project along 7th Avenue that integrates mixed-use development at street level. While the District of Invermere and Lake View Manor still have a lot of work ahead to do before the lands can be formally transferred – such as other legal documents and project agreements – this is a key step forward for a significant new development in Downtown Invermere. The District of Invermere’s formal support to commit the lands needed for this new seniors’ housing project now enables Lake View Manor and others to pursue raising the funds needed to construct this important development in Invermere.”
“Council’s decision benefitted from the strong public support shown for the proposed development in the written comments received by the District, and in the responses to the public survey conducted by the municipality in February & March 2022.”
“The District of Invermere Council and staff are committed to supporting the development of good quality affordable housing in Invermere. The future development of Lake View Manor’s 60-unit housing project will help provide much needed residences for seniors close to medical and other services in and near Downtown Invermere. Providing support for Invermere’s seniors and elderly for generations to come will help strengthen our community now and in the future.”
Mayor Al Miller
District of Invermere
A copy of the resolutions adopted by Invermere Council during its June 14, 2022 In Camera Council meeting in support of the proposed development follow:
22/SPIC38 Moved by Councillor Anderson; Seconded by Councillor Taft;
BE IT RESOLVED THAT COUNCIL:
- Receives the Letter of Commitment for the Proposed development of a Seniors Housing Complex for 7th Avenue;
- Commits the District of Invermere in principle to make available the following lands (legally described below) or an interest therein available to Lake View Manor (LVM) at no cost to develop a 60-unit seniors housing project that integrates mixed-use development at street level to help support the proponent’s efforts to raise monies to develop the project, subject to the following conditions, that:
- Transfer of the lands or any interest therein to Lake View Manor will only occur when the funding required to complete the project has been secured to the District of Invermere’s full satisfaction;
- In the event that Lake View Manor is unable to complete the project, or at a later date Lake View Manor becomes insolvent, then the lands and structures on them will be transferred back into the ownership of the District of Invermere without encumbrance or delay.
- Council must approve any necessary project agreements.
- Compliance with all statutory formalities including granting assistance in the form of below market land transaction (section 24 of the Community Charter) and disposition of an interest in land (section 26 of the Community Charter).
The lands subject to this consideration are legally described as:
- PID: 012-631-868 – Lot 15, Block R, Plan NEP1013, District Lot 216, Kootenay Land District, Except Plan 18123
- PID: 012-631-876 – Lot 16, Block R, Plan NEP1013, District Lot 216, Kootenay Land District, Except Plan 18123
- PID: 015-972-101 – Lot 21, Block R, Plan NEP1013, District Lot 216, Kootenay Land District
- PID: 017-205-174 – Lot 22, Block R, Plan NEP1013, District Lot 216, Kootenay Land District
- PID: 017-205-182 – Lot 23, Block R, Plan NEP1013, District Lot 216, Kootenay Land District
- PID: 017-205-191 – Lot 24, Block R, Plan NEP1013, District Lot 216, Kootenay Land District
- Directs staff to report out these decisions to the public.